Friday, September 19, 2014

Ameture Baking & Cooking Adventures


As I am writing this blog post, I am preparing a Penettone  :)

I have mentioned somewhere in my blog that I am a foodie. I enjoy cooking and baking. Way back when I was in high school I took a cooking class and it was then that I actually pondered about studying to become a chef. It was not something my family supported because they wanted me to pursue either nursing, teaching something along those lines. Because I enjoyed teaching, I decided to pursue that later. So cooking has instead become my hobby, and heck I've even taken a course at the undergraduate level called Feminism and Food. My oh My, my love for food sure runs deep !

Here are some baking adventures by me!

The first time I made Panettone

 
Cinnamon Rolls



Pineapple Upside Down Cake
An Extremely Groovy Butterfly Cake :P




I will never forget the time I made brownies in that cooking class in High school,  it was for a teachers & staff event. I totally messed up because I did not cut the brownies in "perfect" squares. My instructor saw and was a little bit upset with me because they were meant to be served at an event. Crazy thing was, the next day, she came up to me to let me know that a person commented on the brownies being different unequal sizes. Saying "thank god, I can never finish one entire one and glad to have preferences to pick a size" They were glad the brownies were erratically shaped. I learned, that in life you're gonna make mistakes, and there is always a greater outcome and a lesson to be learned. So don't sweat the small stuff.

My mom is a great cook, so are all my aunts from my mother's side and so was my grandmother. I grew up hearing praises from relatives, friends and anyone that is lucky enough to eat my mothers delicious food. She has always been a housewife, she lives breaths and literally eats food. On a typical day you will find her doing groceries, cooking a meal, making snacks in the evening for us and at night watching her cooking show lineups. I think her devotion to cooking good food has rubbed off on me.

Having said that, my mother loves whenever I bake since she was never a baker. She requested for me to make her Penettone. In Canada, we get Penettone bread sold at Walmart stores but only during Christmas time. This is one recipe I do not enjoy making because it takes over a day to make and lots of patience, but the end result is delightful and my mother loves to have this with tea. I just love home made bakery.

Do you enjoy Penettone? Do you love to cook and bake?

XOXO
Moureen

No comments:

Post a Comment